©2019 Downtown Garden Club of Savannah

Downtown Garden Club of Savannah
  • Facebook Social Icon

The Downtown Garden Club of Savannah has a long history of supporting our beautiful downtown through fundraising and service projects.

SERVICE PROJECT HISTORY:

  • The first tea was in 1971 and in 1972, the club agreed to furnish plants and maintain the gardens at Hodgson Hall for two years. 

  • In 1973 the club made stockings for GA Regional patients involved with garden therapy. 

  • In 1977 during bicenntenial presentations, the club was awarded an Honorary Trustees Certificate by the American Land Trust. 

  • In 1982, the club contributed to LeConte-Woodmanston Plantation and Botanical Gardens in Riceboro, GA and also continued their support of the Garden Therapy program at the State Mental Hospital. 

  • In 1988, they donated brick for the Forsyth Fountain and also gave $1500 to the Park and Tree Commission to replace trees in Lafayette and Chatham Squares.

  • In 1996, the club funded supplies for the conservation of Laurel Grove Cemetery.

  • In 1999, the club awarded grants, which totaled $4,650, to the Historical Savannah Foundation (HSF) tree canopy fund, Laurel Grove Cemetery, and the Police Station (for plantings and irrigation).

  • In 2000, the club again gave funds for the HSF tree canopy fund.

  • In 2010, benches were bought for Forsyth Park.

  • In 2012, a fence was provided to screen the monument in Lafayette Square.

  • In 2017, funds were donated to the City of Savannah for beautification and improvements in Reynolds Square.

  • In 2018, funds were donated to the Chatham Savannah Authority for the Homeless' Tiny House Project